Steve Hart is a journalist and editor currently working at the New Zealand Herald in Auckland.
Between 2000 and early 2007 Steve worked at the NZ Herald as chief sub editor of its daily business section. He went on to edit the paper’s Travel and Career sections.
He left to work as a freelance reporter and editor, built WordPress websites, was a video producer and podcaster. He also launched (and sold) the Viewfinder magazine for independent movie makers.
He was invited back to the Herald in 2014 to edit its real estate section. He closely follows NZ, UK and US politics, world events, social issues and housing.
Steve regularly uses apps such as Indesign, Photoshop, Audition (audio) and Premier Pro (video) on a Mac. He uses RadioLogik broadcast software to record radio shows (the app is like NexGen).
He is a WordPress aficionado, hosts the Cool Nights jazz show for community radio stations, creates odd sounds with Reason and listens to jazz, house, trance and 70s prog rock.
- Project manager
- Video editor
Past editorships (since 2000)
- New Zealand Herald; editor, custom publications (including the popular Inside series and Enterprise, for SMEs)
- New Zealand Herald; editor, Careers section
- New Zealand Herald; editor, Travel section
- NZ Investor magazine and website (contract editor)
- Publisher/editor Viewfinder magazine and website (business sold in 2012)
- D-Photo, photography magazine (contract editor)
- Engineering and Manufacturing magazine (contract editor)
Writing credits (in New Zealand)
- New Zealand Herald – employment and business writer
- Project Auckland (NZ Herald special publication)
- German news agency DPA
- Employment Today magazine (ThomsonReuters)
- D-Photo (digital photography) magazine
- InBusiness magazine
- NZ Investor magazine
- Herald on Sunday (business section)
- Mortgage Magazine
- NZ Business
- Management magazine
- Domain Magazine (Fairfax)
- Migrant News
- Bay of Plenty Times (APN)
- The Big Idea website
During the last century (in the UK):
- Reporter, sub editor, chief sub editor and deputy editor at the Yellow Advertiser Group in Essex.
- Radio: BBC Essex, reporter; Essex Radio, tech op/reporter; Basildon Radio, breakfast host; Southend Hospital Radio, news and music presenter; Radio Top Shop, presenter/manager.
- Southend Standard, sub editor; The Lancet, designer; Private Eye, researcher for Paul Foot; Thames News/Daily Mirror/NoW, stringer, Island Times, launch editor…