Steve Hart is a production journalist and editor, a master of WordPress, has fun hosting radio shows and dabbles in audio production.
Steve takes a professional approach to all projects, is results driven, personable, a cool decision maker, creative, and team leader; he’s able to identify what needs to be done and who’s best to do it.
Having a thorough understanding of the print process, Steve can project manage any publication – from concept to delivery; establish overall content direction – words and images – establish page design style, cover design, paper selection, printing and distribution.
He applies those core project management skills to digital projects; be it audio, video or web – he’s a keen user of WordPress having built dozens of sites.
In the UK, Steve worked across local newspapers and regional radio reporting on everything from carnivals to council meetings, crime, courts and business. He went from junior reporter to chief sub editor in a few short years. He also spent time working in corporate communications for international engineering firm Kvaerner.
He moved to New Zealand in 2000 to take up the role of chief sub editor of the NZ Herald’s daily business section and went on to edit two of the paper’s feature sections; Travel and Career.
In 2007 he left to work as a freelance feature writer and magazine editor, and took a strong interest in the WordPress CMS.
He was asked to return to the NZ Herald in 2014 to manage production of its real estate sections; Herald Homes and the quarterly Property Report.
Steve regularly uses Cyber, Mediagrid, InDesign, Photoshop, Audition (podcast/audio production) and Premiere Pro (video editing). He uses RadioLogik (like NexGen) broadcast software to produce his syndicated pre-recorded radio shows.
Little-known fact; before training to become a journalist, Steve was a top nightclub DJ.
- Project manager
- Video editor
Past editorships (since 2000)
- New Zealand Herald; editor, custom publications (including the popular Inside series and Enterprise, for SMEs)
- New Zealand Herald; editor, Careers section
- New Zealand Herald; editor, Travel section
- NZ Investor magazine and website (contract editor)
- Publisher/editor Viewfinder magazine and website (business sold in 2012)
- D-Photo, photography magazine (contract editor)
- Engineering and Manufacturing magazine (contract editor)
Writing credits (in New Zealand)
- New Zealand Herald – employment and business writer
- Project Auckland (NZ Herald special publication)
- German news agency DPA
- Employment Today magazine (ThomsonReuters)
- D-Photo (digital photography) magazine
- InBusiness magazine
- NZ Investor magazine
- Herald on Sunday (business section)
- Mortgage Magazine
- NZ Business
- Management magazine
- Domain Magazine (Fairfax)
- Migrant News
- Bay of Plenty Times (APN)
- The Big Idea website
During the last century (in the UK):
- Reporter, sub editor, chief sub editor and deputy editor at the Yellow Advertiser Group in Essex.
- Radio: BBC Essex, reporter; Essex Radio, tech op/reporter; Basildon Radio, breakfast host; Southend Hospital Radio, news and music presenter; Radio Top Shop, presenter/manager, and club DJ.
- Southend Standard, sub editor; The Lancet, designer; Private Eye, researcher for Paul Foot; Thames News/Daily Mirror/NoW, stringer, Island Times, launch editor…
Want a website? Steve has been building WordPress websites for more than 10 years.