Steve is an NCTJ-trained journalist who works with a broad range of companies writing news & features, recording and producing podcasts, and providing contract publishing services.
He moved to New Zealand in 2000 to join the newsroom at the New Zealand Herald and now works with a range of publishers.
Steve’s journalism career began in the UK when he started writing a weekly music column for his local evening newspaper; an easy thing to do as he was working as a professional nightclub DJ and radio presenter.
With a handful of clippings to his name, and tiring of being a club DJ, he was taken on by the rival weekly as a trainee reporter covering crime, local politics, human interest stories, social issues, and public events.
Having completed his NCTJ training at Harlow College he was quickly appointed as a regional editor. Within a few years he became group chief sub editor, and then deputy editor of a company publishing 14 regional editions with a combined weekly distribution of one million copies.
There was a sideways move into corporate communications in the late 90s when he joined Norwegian engineering firm Kvaerner; writing to keep the firm’s world-wide staff of 80,000 people informed about its major construction projects, and contributing to various annual reports for the dual-listed UK / Norwegian firm.
He left the firm to join London-based contract publishing house Barkers Trident Communications as managing editor of a team of 12 at its offices in Canary Wharf. Clients included London Transport, BP, Mobil, and The Met Police among others.
In late 1999 Steve accepted a role at the New Zealand Herald as chief sub editor of its daily business section. A succession of senior editorial roles followed until he left in 2007.
Steve has produced three documentaries, and in 2009 launched his first podcast – a weekly wrap of sharemarket news for NZ Investor magazine. He currently hosts Podcasting Made Easy.
Steve volunteers at New Zealand Public Television Trust as its (WordPress) webmaster.
- Contract publishing
- Journalist / writer covering real estate, business, insurance, sharemarket…
- Podcast recording / producer and audio post production
- WordPress – Regular user and fixer-upper
- Project manager
- Author / publisher
- One-time professional radio presenter with recent experience as a volunteer hosting a popular syndicated jazz show
Editor roles since 2000
- NZ Herald – Career section; Travel section; and managing editor Custom Publications (contract publishing and special-event supplements), Herald Homes
- Demm Engineering & Manufacturing magazine (contract editor/designer)
- Publisher/editor Viewfinder magazine and website (business sold in 2012)
- D-Photo, photography magazine (contract editor)
- NZ Investor magazine and website (contract editor)
Example podcasts hosted by Steve
WordPress Tips & Tricks – a weekly look at new WordPress plugins and listener questions answered.
Steve Hart Radio Show, excerpt interview about the Fukushima nuclear meltdown recorded in March 2014.
- NZ Investor – weekly sharemarket wrap
- CareerCast – employment news
- The Steve Hart Radio Show – one hour of news and interviews (released as a podcast and syndicated to broadcast radio worldwide)
- WordPress Tips & Tricks – news and help for users of WordPress
- NZ Property Report (NZ Herald) – news for estate agents, investors, home buyers and renters
- Podcasting Made Easy – advice for new podcasters