Steve Hart is an NCTJ-trained journalist who works with a broad range of companies writing news & features, producing podcasts, and providing a wide range of editorial services. He moved to New Zealand in 2000 to join the newsroom at the New Zealand Herald and now works across the media spectrum.
Steve’s journalism career began in the UK when he started writing a weekly music column for his local evening newspaper; an easy thing to do as he was working as a professional nightclub DJ and radio presenter at the time.
With a handful of clippings to his name he was taken on by the rival weekly as a trainee reporter covering crime, local politics, human interest stories, social issues, and public events.
Having completed his NCTJ training at Harlow College he was quickly appointed as a regional editor. Within a few years he became group chief sub editor, and then deputy editor of a company publishing 14 regional editions with a combined weekly distribution of one million copies.
There was a sideways move into corporate communications in the late 90s when he joined Norwegian engineering firm Kvaerner; writing to keep the firm’s world-wide staff of 80,000 people up to date on its major construction projects, and contributing to various annual reports for the dual-listed UK / Norwegian firm.
He left to join London-based award-winning contract publishing house Barkers Trident Communications as managing editor of a team of 12 at its Canary Wharf offices. Clients included London Transport, BP, Mobil, Andersen Consulting, and The Met Police among others.
In late 1999 Steve accepted a role at the New Zealand Herald as chief sub editor of its daily business section. A succession of senior editorial roles followed until he left in 2007. He was asked to return in 2014 for a five-year stint as editor of Herald Homes.
Steve has produced three documentaries, and in 2009 launched his first podcast – a weekly wrap of sharemarket news for NZ Investor magazine. He has hosted numerous syndicated radio shows including The Steve Hart Radio Show, a specialist 80s music program, and he currently hosts the syndicated Just Jazz show.
Specialist areas he reports on include insurance, consumer finance, business, real estate and music.
Steve volunteers at New Zealand Public Television Trust as its (WordPress) webmaster.
- Contract publishing
- Journalist / writer covering real estate, business, insurance, sharemarket…
- Podcast audio post production
- WordPress – Regular user and fixer-upper
- Project manager
- Author / publisher
- One-time professional radio presenter with recent experience as a volunteer hosting a popular syndicated jazz show
Editor roles since 2000
- NZ Herald – Career section; Travel section; and managing editor Custom Publications (contract publishing and special-event supplements), Herald Homes
- Demm Engineering & Manufacturing magazine (contract editor/designer)
- Publisher/editor Viewfinder magazine and website (business sold in 2012)
- D-Photo, photography magazine (contract editor)
- NZ Investor magazine and website (contract editor)
Example podcasts hosted by Steve
WordPress Tips & Tricks – a weekly look at new WordPress plugins and listener questions answered.
Steve Hart Radio Show, excerpt interview about the Fukushima nuclear meltdown recorded in March 2014.
- NZ Investor – weekly sharemarket wrap
- CareerCast – employment news
- The Steve Hart Radio Show – one hour of news and interviews (released as a podcast and syndicated to broadcast radio worldwide)
- WordPress Tips & Tricks – news and help for users of WordPress
- NZ Property Report (NZ Herald) – news for estate agents, investors, home buyers and renters
- Podcasting Made Easy – advice for new podcasters